Stay Safe in the Online World
- January 19, 2021
- Posted by: Mindstream
- Category: student blogs
Internet Safety Tips for Online Learning with some resources for students and families.
1. Do not give out or include personal information in your email addresses or communications while in online learning environments. This includes your phone number and address.
2. Beware of online bullying. Be kind in your words and posts so that you don’t hurt others or have a negative effect. Be aware of negative, inappropriate or bullying messages from others. Tell your family or someone in authority if you feel uncomfortable or see something you think is wrong. Learn more at Teens Against Bullying https://www.
3. Balance computer time with other activities. Take regular breaks; get up, stretch or take a short walk; drink plenty of water & non-caffeinated and non-sugar liquids. Rest your eyes from screen time and give your hands and arms a break from constant keyboard use to guard against muscle and tendon strains and injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome.
4. Evaluate information you see on the Internet. Do not believe everything you find or see online. Learn how to evaluate and look for evidence and sources when deciding if something is reliable, truth, opinion, or just plain fiction/lies.
5. Understand the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Rule (COPPA). COPPA is a federal law that prohibits websites from collecting information from children under the age of thirteen without parental consent. Learn more at https://www.commonsense.org/